Always the most important part for me in all projects are the post mortems – lessons I took, mistakes I must avoid, etc.
Please read the Unholy Showdown Postmortem available HERE
Here’s the current state of game.
Available on Google Play HERE
I am approaching the last line of delivery phase. I am positive I can finish this before the end of this year. One may say: about damn time. I must admit this took way too long time but it is worth it. Don’t expect much about the gameplay. The game is strictly for educational purposes only. I just want to deliver something as less crappy as possible and then move on to something more fun with all the knowledge I managed to get throught the whole process.
So far I was able to implement:
Here is the intro to Unholy Showdown with my not so professional voice over 🙂
I’ve finally closed the alpha tests and started beta process and tests.
This time I shall no longer add new feature but instead I will focus on improving the existing features and visuals.
Like this Bonus Move for example:
Slowly, yet in steady way, my first publicly available game project moves forward.
I’ve finally managed to correct all major animations (Still much to be improved in BETA).
The game is playable, finishers are ready, as seen here:
I really want to finish this game as I want to use the knowledge gained in next and better project.
The current TO DO list is as follows:
I finally managed to convince my beautiful and talented Justyna that this game deserves better graphics.
She could not stand the uglyness of my primitive pixelart so she’s making a better version of… everything !
Here are some samples of what’s coming:
This post will try to show you the perspective view on what I have been through since April 2016. Everything has changed … 3 times.
The game idea originated in year 2014 during my internships in a GameDev company. By a dumb accident a senior game designer and my mentor Tomasz Strzelczyk made a joke about a pitch of a totally different game.
He said that the pitch I made was not clear enough and joked that “this looks like a pitch for a game about demon who possesed the pricesses and it says nothing about a mechanic… It could be as well as a rythm game” … and then he added “Woah! Imagine a game like Exorcist … but with Guitar Hero mechanic… like you know … you have this incense, a prayer and like… holy water and you need to use them to match the rythm of a song”. This idea was hilarious … and still is. Even now I still remember it.
Now the game is Turn Based Rock/Paper/Scissors with local multiplayer. How did that happen? I got players feedback… and the most hilarious idea that sounded ultimately awesome … wasn’t that awesome while real people tried it in practice.
Let me show you some screens from early alphas and compare them with current status…
… and you may be sure about one thing – they will most probably change as well.
Right… so there’s that game I am developing since April 2016.
The game is called Unholy Showdown. It’s my first game which will be available to public. I don’t expect it to be a commercial success and I treat this project as a test ground for my skills. I want to pass through the whole game development process and gain practical skills that I will use in my second project.
I didn’t want to write anything out to public before I actually complete the alpha stage and make it feature complete.
I used to try that before but it never worked out. I canceled at least 15 prototypes so far. The only games I managed to complete were simple microgames made during game jams. This is the farthest I went so far.
Now that the game is in solid form with gameplay that will probably not change drastically, time to start this DevLog, move the game to Beta and add/improve graphic and sound assets.